If you’re learning to wrap your head around music and performance, the best way to practise dealing with nerves associated with performing, is usually simply biting the bullet and performing.
So, if you live around the Northern Rivers here are a few places you can approach to perform that I believe have a warm hearted approach, generous spirit and welcoming and appreciative audience.
- Tintenbar UpFront: Community performance night on the second Friday of each month. All welcome. Indian curries; performers welcome.
- “Rous Unplugged” Rous Mill Road: A totally unplugged forum for locals and visitors to perform. Approach the website to book a performing spot.
- Kulchajam, Byron Bay: A co-op of all kinds of shenanigans. Check it out and see how you can be a part of it.
- The Double Bassment, Byron Bay: As above.
- And of the locals Halls in the entire area, if it has a village name, it probably has a pretty cool old hall with something going on.
You can join networks such as “Home Made Jam” to get connected to some local musicians, or peruse a few sites in facebook of local musical and artistic networks.
You could also consider presenting, performing or hosting a house concert or you could hit the streets for some busking. I believe you need a fairly attainable busking license from the local council.